We have all heard about conscious creating…almost every known spiritual teacher from Louise Hay to those on The Secret have talked with us about this. Conscious creation is the act of deciding what we want with full awareness, telling the Universe and then releasing that desire so that it can manifest. Um..here’s the problem….it’s the releasing. Historically, what happens with so many people is that they dream up their desires, they feel what that creation will feel like with every fiber of their being, and then… they resist!
Why? Resisting change is human nature-even when it’s positive or desired change. Think about it in the most basic form. How many times to you go to your favorite restaurant and order the same thing (or one of a couple of things you already know) because you know you like it, the chef prepares it well, blah, blah, blah? Our wonderful ego is doing it’s job beautifully, and protecting us from potential harm and disappointment. The problems arise when we begin to doubt the conscious creating notion because our resistance slows down or completely stall the process. Over the years I have seen many clients whose physical ails; from headaches and weight gain to digestive issues and auto immune disorders, have an underlying component of chronic emotional resistance.
Don’t be discouraged…we can overcome this self-sabotage and here are a couple of ways to do that.
1) Recognize if you are resisting. If life isn’t going the way you think you’re telling the Universe you want it to go, you’re probably resisting somewhere.
2) Identify what resistance feels like in your body. The next time someone throws out an idea that you don’t like or don’t want to do (even suggesting a movie you don’t want to see) stop and take notice of what you are feeling physically. Are you tense? Did your stomach lurch? Did you start to sweat? This is how you physically resist change or new ideas.
3) Learn to tune in to this physical signal and take a few minutes to breathe. In through your nose out through your mouth to a count of 5 (inhale, 1..2..3..4..5, exhale, 1..2..3..4..5) several times. Some people have great success with breathing in a particular word. For example, imagine breathing in “relax” and exhaling “relax”.
4) Create a mantra to use daily that will help you open up to change. I love using Louise Hay’s book, “You Can Heal Your Life” when I cannot think of my own mantra. One of my favorites for releasing resistance is, “I am free to experience all that life has to offer.”
5) Form an intention to be open. Intentions are powerful. To help your forward movement, write, “I intend to be open to change” on sticky notes and put it in places where you are likely to see it a lot throughout the day.
6) If you are feeling like none of these are working or you want something more, there are essential oils (www.apeacefulpath.com is one of my favorite resources), rescue remedy (available at many natural food stores) and other non-medicinal sensory stimulating aids that will help your mind release and your body relax.
If you have a favorite way to combat resistance, please share it with us all!